Minor in Design for PerformanceOur Undergraduate Degrees
Program Overview – Minimum Total Hours: 24
A solid design and technology core set of classes, state-of-the-art training facilities, hands-on experience, and outstanding faculty and staff are all strengths of the Design and Technology for Performance program.
To be eligible for admission as a declared major in the College of Fine Arts, you must meet the following requirements:
• Completion of 26 hours of earned credit.
• A grade point average of at least 2.50 in all hours attempted or, a grade point of at least 2.50 in the last 30 hours attempted.
• Competency in English writing as demonstrated by: achieving a score of 26 or higher on the English section of the ACT examination or 660 SAT Verbal or, completion of ENGL 101 or 110 or 112 or 113 with a grade of C or better, or receiving credit through Advanced Placement Exam or International Baccalaureate program.
• Competency in Mathematics as demonstrated by: achieving a score of 22 or higher on the Math section of the ACT examination or 540 SAT Math, or completion of MATH 120 or MATH 101 & 102 with a grade of C or better, placement into college-level Math by Compass exam, or receiving credit through Advanced Placement Exam or International Baccalaureate program.
For Art Studio Students:
• Completion of ARTS 125: Art Practices I and ARTS 126: Art Practices II with grades of C or better.
For Art Education Students:
• Completion of ARTE 310: Teaching Art in the Elementary School and ARTE 320: Teaching Art in Secondary School with grades B- or better.
• Passing the National Evaluation Series exam with a score of 220 or better.
For Dance Students:
• Pre-approved acceptance into the program by audition/interview.
• Auditions are held ONCE per year, on the last Friday of January from 10:00 am-5:00 pm in the North Arena studio in the Elizabeth Waters Center for Dance at Carlisle Gym on the UNM main campus. The audition includes group work in ballet, flamenco, improvisation, and modern/contemporary; performance of a one-minute solo of their own choreography or an excerpt of a piece performed previously; and a short interview with dance faculty.
•Intended Dance Majors: Contact Amanda Hamp (she/her) email@example.com, faculty advisor for the Dance Major and Minor in Dance.
For Music Students:
• An Approval to Concentrate in appropriate instrument or voice as demonstrated by completion of the first 2 semesters of Applied Music and enrollment in the 3rd semester is required. A signed form is required.
• BME Students: Satisfactory completion of MUSE 194: Introduction to Music Education and MUSE 195: Introductory Teaching Practicum is necessary for acceptance into the Music Education degree program.
• Submit Application for Admission to the College of Fine Arts to the Student Success & Advisement Center.
• You will be notified by email within 1-3 weeks of submitting your application.
• Applications are accepted for spring and fall semesters only.
• Students graduate under the requirements in the UNM Catalog in effect at the time of their admission (or readmission) into CFA as pre-majors or declared majors. See the current UNM Catalog for further details regarding admission and graduation requirements.
Contact the College of Fine Arts
How to Apply
The College of Fine Arts Student Success & Advisement Center is committed to serve the UNM community with compassion, guidance, and respect as we promote academic excellence.
To speak with a CFA advisor, please call (505) 277-4817.