Apply to the College of Fine ArtsDeclared Major Application
All Fine Arts students must first be admitted to the University, whether as an incoming freshman, transfer student, or non-degree student. Apply online through the Admissions Department at UNM
After meeting all CFA admission requirements, students must apply to become a declared major
To be admitted as a pre-major, or if you have any additional questions, please make an appointment to see a Student Success Specialist.
Students pursuing graduate degrees should check their specific degree and graduate advisor for additional requirements
All students interested in participating in the music program must take a performance audition regardless of intended major. These auditions take place at the beginning of the spring semester for the following fall. Our audition process is also used to determine which students will receive music scholarships.
February 20th, 2017
UNM Center for the Arts
February 25th, 2017
UNM Center for the Arts
February 3rd, 2017
Oñate High School, Las Cruces, NM
Pre-approved acceptance into the dance program is by audition/interview.
Auditions are held ONCE per year, on the last Friday of January from 10:00-5:00 in the North Arena studio in the dance building on the UNM campus. The audition consists of ballet, modern, and flamenco. Participants will also show a one minute work of their own choreography or an excerpt of a piece performed in the past, followed by a short interview with the dance audition committee.
Dance majors must contact Amanda Hamp, faculty advisor for Dance (Carlisle Gym; phone: (505)277-3660).
To be eligible for admission as a declared major in the College of Fine Arts, you must meet the following requirements:
• Completion of 26 hours of earned credit.
• A grade point average of at least 2.50 in all hours attempted or, a grade point of at least 2.50 in the last 30 hours attempted.
• Competency in English writing as demonstrated by: achieving a score of 26 or higher on the English section of the ACT examination or 610 SAT Verbal or, completion of ENGL 101 or 110 or 112 or 113 with a grade of C or better, or receiving credit through Advanced Placement Exam or International Baccalaureate program.
• Competency in Mathematics as demonstrated by: achieving a score of 22 or higher on the Math section of the ACT examination or 510 SAT Math, or completion of MATH 120 or MATH 101 & 102 with grade of C or better, placement into college level Math by Compass exam, or receiving credit through Advanced Placement Exam or International Baccalaureate program.
• Completion of 12 credit hours of course work in the major area with at least a 2.50 grade point average. Please note that each degree has a higher major GPA requirement for graduation. See individual degree plan for more details.
For Art Studio Students:
• Completion of ARTS 125: Art Practices I and ARTS 126: Art Practices II with grades of C or better.
For Art Education Students:
• Completion of ARTE 310: Teaching Art in the Elementary School and ARTE 320: Teaching Art in Secondary School with grades B- or better.
• Passing the National Evaluation Series exam with a score of 240 or better.
For Dance Students:
• Pre-approved acceptance into program by audition/interview.
• Auditions are held ONCE per year, on the last Friday of January from 10:00-5:00 in the North Arena studio in the dance building on the UNM campus. The audition consists of ballet, modern, and flamenco. Participants will also show a one minute work of their own choreography or an excerpt of a piece performed in the past, followed by a short interview with the dance audition committee.
• Dance majors must see Amanda Hamp, faculty advisor for Dance (Carlisle Gym; phone: 277-3660).
For Interdisciplinary Film & Digital Media Students:
• Completion of the first two Core IFDM courses with grades of C or better.
• In order to enroll in IFDM core courses, students must be admitted as pre-majors through a separate application process. See current Catalog for details.
For Music Students:
• An Approval to Concentrate in appropriate instrument or voice as demonstrated by completion of the first 2 semesters of Applied Music and enrollment in 3rd semester is required. A signed form is required.
• BME Students: Satisfactory completion of MUSE 194: Introduction to Music Education and MUSE 195: Introductory Teaching Practicum is necessary for acceptance into the Music Education degree program.
• Submit Application for Admission to the College of Fine Arts to the Student Success & Advisement Center.
• You will be notified by email within 1-3 weeks of submitting your application.
• Applications are accepted for spring and fall semesters only.
• Students graduate under the requirements in the UNM Catalog in effect at the time of their admission (or readmission) into CFA as pre-majors or declared majors. See the current UNM Catalog for further details regarding admission and graduation requirements.
Application for Admission as a Declared Major
Please fill out this application and return it to the CFA Student Success & Advisement Center, Center for the Arts Room 1103
Contact the College of Fine Arts
How to Apply
The College of Fine Arts Student Success & Advisement Center is committed to serve the UNM community with compassion, guidance, and respect as we promote academic excellence.
To speak with a CFA advisor, please call (505) 277-4817.