art • research • technology • science
ARTSLab is a transdisciplinary research facility and exhibition space serving UNM and the greater New Mexico community.
Established in 2005 by professor emeritus Ed Angel, UNM’s ARTSLab (which stands for Art, Research, Technology, and Science) is an award-winning interdisciplinary center for emerging media with an emphasis on immersive and interactive technology. The multivalent mission of ARTSLab is best summarized by these five key objectives:
- Foster Cross-college Collaborations – ARTSLab prioritizes support for collaborative research partnerships between the College of Fine Arts and other schools and colleges across UNM.
- Support Interdisciplinary Faculty Research – ARTSLab provides faculty researchers in CFA with access to cutting-edge technology and technical support to help expand their practice.
- Champion Inclusivity – ARTSLab encourages technological equity by eliminating barriers, creating inclusive spaces, and offering training and tutorials for users in accessible and intuitive formats with the belief that diverse perspectives are imperative in creating a more equitable future.
- Provide a Public Exhibition Space – ARTSLab provides a unique environment for public art exhibitions, multi-media performances, guest speakers, workshops, and presentations for UNM affiliates and the greater Albuquerque community.
- Core Facility Access – ARTSLab houses and maintains research equipment and provides access and training for multiple users over extended time frames.
Located inside the Center for Advanced Research Computing, the ARTSLab features an 1100ft² production studio with fully outfitted control room, a 16ft fulldome for immersive projection, and an audio isolation booth for sound recording. The ARTSLab is equipped with a variety of resources and technology to support the diverse research interests of its users, including a Big-Rep ONE 3D printer (cubic-meter print volume), an Artec Leo 3D Scanner, VR headsets, various cameras and lenses, motorized DMX lights, fabrication machinery (CNC, laser cutter, and micro vacuum former), and an electronics workstation.
ARTSLab is in the process of redesigning its webpage. In the meantime, you can stay informed about upcoming events, ongoing research, and public programming by following ARTSLab on social media:
For all other questions and inquiries, please contact the lab manager, Valery Estabrook, at email@example.com
Interim Director: Mary Tsiongas
Associate Director: Stewart Copeland
Lab Manager: Valery Estabrook
Faculty Advisory Committee
Peter Gilbert, Music
Amanda Hamp, Theater & Dance
Sylvia Johnson, Film & Digital Arts
Leah Beuchley, Computer Science, SOE
Tim Castillo, Architecture + Planning (SAAP)
Megan Jacobs, Honors College
Contact ARTS Lab
How to Apply
The College of Fine Arts Student Success & Advisement Center is committed to serve the UNM community with compassion, guidance, and respect as we promote academic excellence.
To speak with a CFA advisor, please call (505) 277-4817.