The Department of Theatre & Dance
Providing a broad, liberal arts education in the related performing arts of Dance, Theatre, & Design for Performance that cultivates critical thinking and creative expression.
The Department of Theatre and Dance provides a broad, liberal arts education in the related performing arts of Dance, Theatre, and Design for Performance that cultivates critical thinking and analysis as well as helping students build the basic skills for creative expression. For emerging artists and specialists, we provide tools to build careers in their chosen field and networks to the professional world, both nationally and internationally. We serve the community through high quality performance events that showcase student and faculty artistic work and serve as a laboratory for applying skills learned in the classroom and studio.
We offer three Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree programs, one in Dance, one in Theatre, and one in Design for Performance. We have two 3-year Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree programs aimed at professional preparation: one in Dramatic Writing that includes writing for stage, screen, and digital media; and one in Dance where students may pursue concentrations in either Choreography or Performance. We also offer two 2-year Master of Arts (M.A.) Degree programs, one in Theatre Education and Outreach and one in Dance History that are designed to prepare students for continued graduate study leading to the Ph.D. degree.
Our academic programs are supported by 18 full time faculty members, over 15 part time instructors, and frequent guest artist visits. Special strengths of the Department include:
- An internationally acclaimed program in Flamenco Dance
- An award-winning Dramatic Writing program in which students develop new works for the multi-venue Words Afire Festival each fall
- Exciting actor training and performance opportunities with the Tricklock Company, the internationally recognized professional theatre company-in-residence at UNM
- A Design for Performance program that prepares students to work in theatre, the burgeoning film industry in New Mexico, and computer-based interactive technologies
- An active Theatre Education and Outreach program that provides students many opportunities to develop new work and gain teaching and directing experience in area schools and community organizations. We aim to serve our students through education and training in an environment that supports exploration, artistic curiosity, experimentation, risk-taking, creative collaboration, and innovative projects across disciplines. We are dedicated to artistic and educational approaches that celebrate individual expression, build community, and engage with the issues of our life and times.